Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Out of the ashes

Today was a (pause while I think of the right word)  different, interesting, no, maybe the best word to use would be blessed.  Today was a day of blessings.  I had to work today and due to different circumstances I happened to be working out on the floor with customers.  I work for a local christian book store, which is a blessing in itself.  Most days at work are just sort of average, if you know what I mean.  But today...today was different.  There was a certain spirit in the air.  Maybe it was the beautiful weather, I'm not sure.  No wait, I am sure.  Today was the kind of day that you just "knew" the Lord had sent each and every person through our doors for a purpose.

It started with a woman.  She seemed a bit bewildered, like she was just waiting for someone to rescue her.  Although at first glance one might not have noticed.  Once we discovered her it was as if she just dropped all of the "baggage" she had right there on the floor.  A long breath just released.  You know what I mean.  Its like finding a place of refuge in the midst of turmoil.

You see, this woman was in our store today to buy a Bible.  A Bible she needed because she did not have one and she needed to be close to the Lord.  To read his words.  She shared with us that just 3 weeks ago she lost her home and all she owned in a house fire.  Everything.  Up in smoke.  She is very thankful to have gotten out alive.  But once the smoke clears and the dust settles, you realize you have nothing.  Nothing.


But there, right in the middle of the store, she found a safe haven, a refuge, a solace, a warm hug.  Tears were shed and not just hers.  There were customers shopping right at that moment that the Lord knew she needed.  Other women to help her grasp the loss she was grieving.  To let her know that it's okay to grieve for "things" we have lost.  I'm sure she appreciated her home, was thankful for all that God had given her.  I'm sure she didn't need to have it all taken away to realize her gratitude.  God had allowed it all to be taken away in an instant.  Yet, who did she turn to?  God.



I don't really know where I am going with this except maybe to say that I am so thankful that I had the priveledge of being part of the joy that was shared.  Thankful that I am blessed enough to work in a place where at any time of the day we can stop what we are doing and lift a fellow sister up in prayer to the Lord. Blessed to know that despite some of the difficult days at work, we really do have the best customers in the world.  People who weren't afraid to come over when they heard a woman sobbing, giving up their time to help someone with a need.


What are the words to that song?  I believe it is:  "Out of the ashes, beauty will rise." 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is beautiful.

    I remember days like that... while working there. :) It's sad but I had kept in touch with a couple of folks and now since have lost that connection. But. Maybe it was a season..

    You are a real blessing to "the store"...Kelli. Keep shining your light!

    ReplyDelete